Sunday, December 12, 2010

G.O.O.D. Album Review

*Wow, I can not believe how disappointed I am with myself not being able to post as must as I should be, but I'll skip the excuses and start off with this review of Yeezy's new album.
*I meant to post this the week it came out along with another album review, and I wasn't going to at all after I listened to the album. I was disappointed with the album overall, I really expected a REAL HIP-HOP masterpiece after all the hype for the pass couple of months with the G.O.O.D. Fridays (which I think were better than most songs on the album) and rumors with working with GREAT producers such as RZA, Q-Tip, Madlib, Pete Rock, and DJ Premier. I mean on paper there is no way this album can fail, but sure enough, most of those tracks were scrapped from the album and we were left with a 13 tracks of dissapointment.

Now, I thought to myself that perhaps I was to quick to judge the album without actually sitting down and listening to it in full detail. So I played the album about 20 more times in my ZUNE and really tried to listen to the album in different angles and hear what he is trying to say. After all the madness, some of my opinions about the album had changed opposed to the ones I shared on my buddy Frank's blog. And I think I understand more or less of what the album is really about. So, without further ado lets get on with the review.

*Hit the jump for the Review, Tracklist and MORE.!!

*Kanye West - Dark Fantasy [Prod. The RZA, Kanye West, No I.D., Jeff Bhasker & Mike Dean]



Alternate album covers. DOPER than the Album haha..
-Before I go along with the song by song analysis, I would to share a couple more things. First off I think it is pure bullshit that the legendary Hip-Hop magazine The Source gave Mr. West's album the prestigious 5 mic rating, but the again who reads it anymore. And despite the album, I still give Kanye credit for trying to put out something new for the masses, but seriously should consider taking out all the BULLSHIT out of his lyrics and put out something more meaningful like for example his first three albums.

I still consider Kanye West as one the top producers out, but as far as a lyricist to me he has fallen. Another thing that threw me off was the 13 track short of an album, COME ON!!, is it so hard to extend the album to perhaps 16-20 songs (yes, to me an extra 3-5 tracks does make a difference). Overall, I give the album a rating of 3.5 out of 5.

If you are interested, the album is avaliable now.


1. "Dark Fantasy" [Prod. The RZA, Kanye West, No I.D., Jeff Bhasker & Mike Dean]
-The lyrics are decent, the beat is pretty dope thanks to the RZA, not bad to kick off the album; GOOD song I guess.

2. "Gorgeous" (Feat. Kid Cudi & Raekwon) [Prod. Kanye West, No I.D. & Mike Dean]
-Definitely what I was hoping the album would more like, Cudder does his thing as well as Raekwon. DOPE.!!

3. "Power" [Prod. S1, Kanye West, Jeff Bhasker, Mike Dean & Andrew Dawson]
-My least favorite of the entire album, beat, lyrics, are not what I was hoping for for the first single.
4. "All of the Lights" (Interlude) 

5. "All of the Lights" [Prod. Kanye West & Jeff Bhasker]
-Talk about an EPIC FAIL, even with the 20,000 singers featured on it, to me the song was a pretty big disappointment, its decent enough I guess.

6. "Monster" (Feat. Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj & Bon Iver) [Prod. Kanye West, Mike Dean & Plain Pat]
-A NICE track, but no one really stood out to me except for maybe for Young Money's own Nicki Minaj who I thought had a nice flow and fit perfectly with the song. Have no idea why Rick Ross was included..AGAIN!

7. "So Appalled" (Feat. Jay-Z, Pusha T, Prynce Cy Hi, Swizz Beatz & The RZA) [Prod. Kanye West, No I.D. & Mike Dean]
-A definite banger, one of the BETTER tracks off the album; very dope beat accompanied with dope features who are on point as well.

8. "Devil in a New Dress" (Feat. Rick Ross) [Prod. Bink! & Mike Dean]

-Possibly the best track off the entire album, the beat is on point, and I really like how the beat was slightly altered and Rick Ross actually did not disappoint. DOPE.!

9. "Runaway" (Feat. Pusha T) [Prod. Kanye West, Emile, Jeff Bhasker & Mike Dean]-As promised, Yeezy included the sample that was used at this years VMA's, and extended the beat, which all made a BIG difference in my opinion making the song way more listenable. But I think he should have changed as well.

10. "Hell of a Life" [Prod. Kanye West, Mike Caren, No I.D. & Mike Dean]
-The hook is very catchy, lyrics are playful, but I seriously could do without the autotune.

11. "Blame Game" (Feat. John Legend) [Prod. Kanye West, DJ Frank E & Mike Dean]
-Although the beat and John Legends vocals are enjoyable, I still do not know what the point of the song is, not a bad song just not GOOD.

12. "Lost in the World" (Feat. Bon Iver) [Prod. Kanye West & Jeff Bhasker]
-I still perfer the original version of the song but I seriously can't get over how much it sounds like something that belongs in his previous album, which is something. Like I said before, I thought we were done with Heartbreak, lets move on to REAL HIP-HOP..

13. "Who Will Survive in America"
-Really do not see the point of this being a seperate track instead of together with Lost In The World like the orignal version

BONUS:


-Mr. West's short film - RUNAWAY.
What the album could have sound like:

*Kanye West - The Joy (Feat. Pete Rock, Jay-Z, Charlie Wilson, Curtis Mayfield & KiD CuDi) [Prod. Pete Rock]

*Kanye West - Chain Heavy (Feat. Talib Kweli & Consequence) [Prod. Q-Tip]

No comments:

Post a Comment